Gum recession is both a cosmetic and oral health concern that can impact the integrity of your smile. Receding gums can expose tooth roots, raise your risk for a range of dental problems, cause discomfort when eating or drinking and have a detrimental effect on the aesthetics of your smile.
Atlanta area dentist Dr. Brenda Paulen offers treatment options for receding gums to restore both health and beauty to your smile. Using cosmetic treatments our team can address your needs with the appropriate dental care that will support your long-term oral health.
Gum Recession: Common Causes
There are several reasons for gum recession, from genetic to lifestyle-related factors. Understanding your unique risk factors for both gum disease and receding gums can play an important role in the long-term maintenance of a healthy smile. Dr. Paulen and our team take time with all of our patients to get to know them and provide personalized care and advice to support optimal oral health between routine dental visits. Healthy gums support healthy, strong tooth structure and are the key to avoiding complex dental problems, including tooth loss.
Common causes of receding gums can include:
- Genetic factors affecting the structure and integrity of gum tissue
- Periodontal disease, periodontitis
- Damage caused by vigorous tooth brushing or hard bristled tooth brush
- Certain medical conditions or medications that can weaken gum tissue
Dr. Paulen will evaluate your dental health and discuss your overall medical history and lifestyle habits to determine the cause of your gum recession and choose the most suitable treatment option.
Treatment for Receding Gums
The type of treatment recommended will depend on the severity of your gum recession and your cosmetic goals. Dr. Paulen will work with you on an individual basis to choose the right option for restoring gum health as well as the aesthetics of your natural smile. In addition to protecting the tooth roots and stabilizing the teeth, your gums are a part of your overall appearance. Dr. Paulen has an eye for the aesthetic and can contour the gums for a symmetrical, balanced appearance.
- Composite bonding: a color matched composite resin material can be applied to the teeth to cover exposed roots. This is effective in cases of minor recession or isolated areas of recession.
- Oral Surgery: in cases of extensive gum recession, oral surgery may be recommended for the best result. In this case, tissue grafting may be used to restore healthy gums and create a natural looking gum line.
Schedule A Consultation
If you have receding gums or have concerns about the health of your gums, schedule a consultation with Dr. Paulen in our Sandy Springs dentist office. We welcome new patients and can offer the experienced, personalized care that you need to achieve the smile you desire. To schedule an appointment, call (404) 418-7734 or request an appointment online.