Oral Health impacts overall health and wellbeing. At Proud Smiles in Sandy Springs, preventive dental care is the foundation of Dr. Paulen’s dentistry. Maintaining healthy teeth and gums is the key to not only long term oral health, but a good quality of life. Poor dental health has been associated with a greater risk for several health problems and systemic disease.
Preventive care visits give Dr. Paulen and her staff the opportunity to spot dental problems in the early stage when conservative treatment is most effective. Learn More.
A typical preventive care visit may include:
- Professional dental cleaning
- Digital dental x-rays
- Periodontal screening
- Dental caries (cavities) screening
- Occlusal analysis to examine the position of the bite
Real Patient Testimonial: Dental Cleanings
Some patients are more susceptible to decay than others, but diligent preventative dental care can help decrease tooth decay. Cavities effect patients of all ages and are a growing health concern. Tooth decay can lead to secondary dental health concerns and even cause systemic health complications. Thorough at-home oral hygiene and routine dental cleanings and oral health exams are essential for maintaining your oral health. Dr. Paulen offers additional preventative treatment options to deter the development of tooth decay.
- Fluoride Varnish- Fluoride treatments are a noninvasive procedure that can be completed following a dental cleaning. Fluoride is painted onto the surface of the teeth to help prevent tooth decay.
- Sealants- Sealants ideally adhere to the molar chewing surfaces. A topical treatment, sealants are applied to the difficult to clean crowns of the molars to seal out tooth decay.
- Prescription Fluoride Toothpaste- For decay prone patients, Dr. Paulen may make personalized recommendations for oral hygiene products. Dr. Paulen offers a prescription fluoride toothpaste, Clinpro 5000, for patients in need of a higher strength toothpaste.
- Phocal Fluoride Disc: Patented Phocal disks are inserted inbetween the teeth. The discs are designed to soften and expand forming a gel seal between teeth. Phocal discs are ment to prevent the development of decay on the surfaces between teeth.
- Fluoride Gel Trays: Patients who experience severe dry mouth are more likely to develop tooth decay. Dry mouth is a common side effect of many systemic illness and medications. Patients who are undergoing treatment for cancer, organ transplants or have Lupos, may benefit from fluoride gel trays to help reduce the side effects of dry mouth.
Since the best results start with an accurate and thorough diagnosis, it's here that each patient first becomes acquainted with Dr. Paulen's health-centered approach.
It begins with a personal and private meeting where you will discuss your dental history and relate your dental goals. From there, Dr. Paulen performs a very comprehensive dental examination where she uses specialized techniques along with state-of-the-art digital radiography and intra-oral photography. All of the detailed information that comes from this exam is used to produce a personalized "Dental Fitness Report".
Within this report will be an objective measure of your dental wellness called your "Dental Fitness Score". It's this score that allows you and Dr. Paulen to track your progress towards your goals and maximum dental wellness.