Why Would I Need A Dental Implant?
At Proud Smiles in Sandy Springs, Dr. Paulen performs a full complement of restorative services including dental implants. Whether you have lost a tooth due to periodontitis, tooth decay or an injury, Dr. Paulen can help restore your smile and your dental health with a beautiful new dental implant that looks and functions just like a real tooth.
Implant vs. Dental Bridges and Dentures
All three of these restorations replace missing teeth, however, a dental implant is the only one that replaces the actual root structure of a tooth. This means that the prosthetic tooth (or teeth) is permanently fixed in the mouth and does not require any support from neighboring teeth or use of adhesives. The implanted post also reduces bone loss, a common side effect of lost teeth that can result in a more aged appearance as the jaw shrinks and causes remaining teeth to shift position.
What Is The Dental Implant Process?
Atlanta dentist Dr. Paulen will create a personalized treatment plan and coordinate with a local oral surgeon or periodontist who will perform the tooth implant surgery. Dr. Paulen will complete the restoration in our Sandy Springs dental office.
- Implantation: The placement of the dental implant is a simple, procedure performed in the dentist office under local anesthesia. It typically takes three to six months for the implant to heal and fully integrate with the jawbone. In some cases, Dr. Paulen will place the permanent dental crown during this visit. Other times, a temporary crown will be placed while the implant heals.
- Implant Restoration: After the healing process is complete, Dr. Paulen will uncover the implant and attach the dental crown, bridge or denture. Your restoration will look and function the same as your natural teeth. You can brush and floss normally. Routine visits to the dentist will ensure long-term health and function of the dental implant.
What Are The Benefits of Dental Implants?
- 95% or higher success rate
- Improved bone and gum health (compared to alternative restorations)
- Avoids the degradation of healthy teeth (as in conventional bridgework)
- Improves the appearance of the smile and lower face
- Patients can enjoy a healthy diet without restrictions
- No worry of slippage or dentures “falling out”
- Minimize Speech Impediments
Schedule An Appointment
Are you interested in learning more about Dental Implants? Visit Proud Smiles for a consultation with Dr. Paulen. To make an appointment at our Sandy Springs, GA dentist office, all 404.418.7734 or request an appointment online.